Thursday, September 10, 2009

Story with happy ending

It is so surreal writing about my stolen bikes. When they got lost, I gave up hope on retrieving them but thanks to my condo management staffs especially the manager, Mr. Gunabalan, helped towards the recovery of both bikes.

Let me share the story.

Saturday (22/8) around 12.00 noon, my wife, who was at home, called me and said about a former night guard with information about my bicycle. I quickly took my motorbike and rushed home. Upon reaching my unit, I saw our current night guard, Jamal and he introduced Saiful, a former night guard. Jamal said Saiful came to the guard house for chitchat on Friday and Jamal mentioned to him about stolen bicycles from the condo. Jamal then showed him the picture of the bicycle that has been put up on the notice board offering reward of RM100.00 for information to the recovery of the bicycles. (Jamal did most of the talking and telling the story). When Saiful saw the photo, he said he bought a bicycle that looked like that about 2 weeks ago.

I asked Saiful if he remembered the seller and he replied he doesn't know who that person was but can recognise if he ever saw the seller again. Saiful said he bought it for RM500.00. Jamal told Saiful to get his wife to bring the bike to Selat for confirmation. Saiful then left leaving Jamal to continue talking to me. Jamal said Saiful was at a warong when he heard about someone selling a bicycle and since he needed some sort of transport as he didn't have any, the bicycle seemed handy. The negotiation started with the seller saying he knows the value of the bicycle is RM2000.00 and is offering RM1000.00. Saiful offered RM300.00 and they settled at RM500.00.

About 20 minutes later, Saiful and his wife came pushing the bike. A quick check on the bike revealed is was my bike minus the reflective stickers, the saddle bag and metal stand. At that moment, I was happy just to get my hands back on the bike and feeling compassionate for Saiful who told me he bought it for RM500.00, I paid Saiful RM500.00. I asked Saiful if he had any information on the other bike, a Schwinn model size 14.5" (suitable for smaller size people) but he said no.

I conveyed my thanks to Jamal and told him I will settle with him later about the reward money. Jamal asked if I had the picture of the Schwinn bicycle and he will help keep a lookout.

- End
A few days later I started to rethink of the event and some things did not make sense.

For instance, how does a guard who earns RM400.00 (basic) buy a RM500.00 bicycle when he is not a mountain bike rider or enthusiast. And if Saiful needed some form of transport, why buy a RM500.00 bicycle when you can easily get a RM150.00+ China made bicycle.

Footprints.
The last time I used the unit was on Sunday 9th August in the evening. I know it rained early in the morning because I sent my children to school on Monday morning and found the grounds wet. I did not open the unit as I did not cycle the whole of Monday. On Tuesday morning after sending my children to school, I decided to move my things out and that was when I found the bikes missing. There was footprint marks on the floor coming from the glass balcony entrance and exiting on the main door (I found it unlock). Boot size 10.

A friend gave his view that a thief will not use boots to commit a crime especially when you have to climb over the balcony. A slipper or rubber shoe would be better. This points to someone on duty or was still in uniform when the crime was committed.
I know many of you will say that I shouldn't have paid any money. Yes, I went through that flaming session when I shared this story with the local riders and friends. What can I say? I am a sucker if you put on a puppy face and tell a sad story.

This transaction was almost 3 weeks ago and the initial hope of recovering the 2nd bike was slowly diminishing as time passed.

My condo manager had spoken to Jamal after I got my Specialized and put it to him that he is to do whatever it takes to recover the 2nd bike. A mind game was set on Jamal and it paid off today.

At 8.30 am today (10/9), one of the day guard came to my unit and said there is a bicycle outside the fence that looked like my bike as he was patrolling the area. I followed him and saw the sight below.

It was an unbelievable sight. My 2nd bike lying at the shrubs waiting to be claimed. I was happy yet wanted to laugh. It just suddenly appeared from nowhere.

Strangely, the front tires and tubes were out of the rim. Did the thief go on a mtb ride before abandoning it there?

Anyway, I am happy to recover both bikes and thanks to all who helped, shared ideas and well wishes.

To the thief, my hope for your "blessings" still stands.

No comments: